my name in lights

my name in lights

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I imagine heaven to be similar to the 80's...

Okay okay okay. Worship of the 80's decade is nothing new. Certainly not original. But I can't help but long for the decade to come back. If I had a time machine I would go back to the 80's and stay there. For at least another 10 years anyway. The music was awesome. I've been watching a lot of 80's movies lately at home. And there are things that I miss that filmmakers just don't do now. Not any that I can think of and if you can think of some, keep it to yourself, this is my blog and I'm always going to be right.




One of the things that 80's did differently was the music. First of all, they liked to make a song specifically for that movie. Wind Beneath My Wings...Beaches, Eye of the Tiger...Rocky III, (a little trivia regarding Rocky III, the Song, "You're the Best" that can be found on The Karate Kid soundtrack was originally written for Rocky the 3rd but Eye of the Tiger was chosen instead. Both great songs in my book), What a Feeling...Flashdance. Anyway, you get my drift. Why are we not writing iconic theme songs for movies anymore? Some of the best movie soundtracks I've heard recently are only really good to me because they include songs from different eras that I really enjoy.

Something else that 80's movies did with music was write theme music that was played throughout the film and depending on the action in the film, the tempo would get slower or faster. A great example of this is the movie Fletch, with Chevy Chase. I wish I could take credit for this observation, but one night watching this movie with a couple of friends, one of them pointed it out and it made for a hilarious night.



Something that really isn't attributable (did I spell that right?) to 80's movies but is part of what makes the decade so great...The Fashion. There isn't any other decade that is more hilarious to reenact in outfits and hairdos and makeup than the 80's. It might be "fun" to dress up in a roarin 20's outift or make a peace sign in some tie dye clothes. Even poodle skirts and tight t-shirts (for the fellas) makes for an enjoyable night. But nothing, and I do mean nothing, is more hilarious than what I've seen some of my friends come up with during an 80's night. They were ballsy back in the day! What is the deal with shoulder pads, why was this desirable to be seen on a woman? What about 80's butt? You know 80's butt, when women wore paints up to their actual waist line so their butt seemed to be really high? There are a lot of other examples but I'm getting tired of writing so I'm gonna end soon.



I just want to say that there aren't many songs nowadays that instill in me the emotions that a good 80's song does. I love when I'm listening to the radio and a long forgotten song comes on. The rush of nostalgia that comes over me is indescribable. When I watch an 80's movie I long for a long past era of time that seems, to me, to be other worldly even. I remember as a child looking forward to certain experiences and things only to find out that by the time I was old enough for them they were gone, along with the decade I love.

I miss it all and can only hope that one day, it will be recreated somewhere that will allow me to partake of all it's greatness.


No comments:

Post a Comment